When is a permit required?

A permit is required to construct, enlarge, repair, renovate, alter, reconstruct or demolish a structure or to install or alter equipment, such as heating or air conditioning. There are exceptions for ordinary maintenance. The following are considered ordinary repairs and would not require a permit: • Exterior or interior painting. • Installation, repair or replacement of less than 25% of plaster or drywall in a 1 or 2 family home. • Vinyl or Paper wall covering. • Replacement of glass in any door or window. (The glass must be of the type required by code) • The installation and replacement of any window or door, including garage doors, in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening. This includes storm windows and doors. Replacement Egress doors and windows shall not reduce the required height, width or net clear opening of the previous window or door. • Repair or replacement of any non-structural member such as kitchen cabinets. • The replacement or installation of any flooring material. • The repair or installation of interior or exterior trim or molding. • The repair of existing roof material not exceeding 25% of the total roof area in any 12-month period on structures other than 1 or 2 family homes. • The repair of existing siding, with like material, not exceeding 25% of the total building exterior wall area in any 12-month period on structures other than 1 or 2 family homes . • The repair or replacement of any part of a porch or stoop, which does not support a roof. • The replacement or installation of screens. • Installation of insulation other than spray foam plastic insulation • Replacement of exterior rain gutters and leaders. • Replacement hose bib valves in single-family homes, replacement hose bib valves must have an atmospheric vacuum breaker. • Refinishing of any plumbing fixtures. Relining of plumbing fixtures is not considered an ordinary repair. • Repair or replacement of piping that is leaking. • Clearance of drain clogs. • Replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets. • Replacement of valves including shower or combination bath/shower valves (shower valves must be the pressure balance type to prevent accidental scalding). • Replacement of working parts of valves (washers or cartridges). • Replacement of drain traps in single-family homes. • Replacement of a toilet, bathroom sink, bathroom tub or kitchen sinks, provided no change in pipe arrangement is needed. Replacement toilets shall use a maximum of 1.6 gallons per flush. • Replacement of existing domestic clothes washers or dishwashers. • Replacement of any receptacle (outlet), switch, or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts. • The installation of battery operated smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors or replacement of hardwired smoke detectors with like detectors that are compatible with the system . • Repair or replacement of heating or air-conditioning components; motors, pumps and fans of the same capacity; heating supply and return piping and radiation elements not requiring the rearrangement of the piping system; ductwork or control devices (thermostats). • Replacement of kitchen range hoods in a single family home with a exhaust rate of 400 cfm or less . • Replacement of clothes dryers, stoves or ovens within dwelling units provided no change in fuel type, location or electrical characteristics is required. The following are not considered ordinary repairs and would require a permit: • Installation or removal of a partition wall that would reconfigure the space. • The removal or cutting of any structural beam or bearing support. • The removal or change of any required means of egress. • Any work affecting structural or fire safety. • Any work that will increase the nonconformity of any building or structure. • Addition to, or alteration, replacement or relocation of water supply, sewer drainage, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping. • Addition to, or alteration, replacement or relocation of electrical wiring other than low voltage communication wiring in a one or two family home. • Installation of wood paneling. • Alteration to the layout or use of any space or room even if all the work is inside the building and there is no addition to the building. If you are unsure whether you need a permit, please call the Building Dept. and we will be glad to assist you.

Show All Answers

1. When is a permit required?
2. My water heater broke on a Friday night, do I need to wait until Monday and get a permit before I have it replaced?
3. Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?
4. Do I need a permit to reside my house?
5. What are the Building Department’s hours?
6. When are inspections performed?
7. Can I request a specific time for inspections?
8. What is the best time to talk to an inspector?
9. What forms will I need for my permit application?
10. Can I use forms from another town?
11. Can I draw the construction drawings myself or do I need an architect?
12. How many copies of the construction drawing do I need to submit with my application?
13. What needs to be on the construction drawings?
14. How long will it take to get my permit after I make an application?
15. Do I need a permit for a shed?
16. Do I need a permit to put up a fence?
17. When is a permit required for a pool?
18. I’m having replacement windows installed, do I need a permit?
19. How are the fees for permits calculated?
20. My neighbor is doing work and I don’t think they have a permit can an inspector come check it out?
21. Do I need a permit to repair or replace my deck?
22. I want to install a back-up generator, where on my property can it be placed?
23. What codes are used in Wall Township?
24. Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?
25. Do I need a permit to reside my house?
26. Do I need a permit for a shed?
27. Do I need a permit to repair or replace my deck?
28. When is a permit required?